University of Minnesota Duluth
Read Blog Posts about UMD
CHC Host Site Since: June 2010
Location: Duluth, MN
Michelle Hargrave, Director of the Office of Civic Engagement
The UMD Office of Civic Engagement acts as the liaison between the university and the community to forge mutually beneficial relationships. The OCE addresses health disparities by analyzing how UMD can leverage resources and play a role in supporting local health initiatives and agencies. Some examples of past partnerships include participating in the Duluth Project Homeless Connect Event that provides resources and health literature and access information to 300-500 individuals annually, assisting the CHUM Shelter-UMD Pharmacy and Medical School operate free health clinic and acquire resources, etc.
- Increase low-income people’s access to campus-assisted direct healthcare services or benefit from campus-assisted prevention-related health literacy projects statewide.
- Assess existing healthcare access initiatives involving the campus & develop new partnerships by helping to build new community-based learning opportunities.
- Develop partnerships between health related community agencies and existing & new UMD courses leveraging university resources (human/intellectual capacity) within the following departments to foster a climate of community based learning: School of Pharmacy, School of Medicine, Program in Health and Nutrition, Medical Therapy Management Clinic, School of Social Work, and Early Childhood Education.
- Collaborate with community agencies on health literacy projects that involve civic engagement and community-based learning.
- Build capacity through improving, expanding, and beginning campus-community partnerships to address healthcare access and health literacy.
- Strengthen relationships with current community partners and establish partnerships with new agencies.
- Recruit and mobilize volunteers.
- Assist with the planning process of community/UMD hosted projects/events focusing on health care access and literacy.
- Become more informed about health care topics: new technologies, trends, innovations, community climate to inform/educate the community and UMD students.
Back to Site List