CHC Host Site Since: September 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Contact: Theresa Leonard, Director of Community Health & Grants Management
Neighborhood HealthSource (NHS) operates three primary care clinics in North and Northeast Minneapolis. It reaches out to its communities through Stroke Prevention, Patient Advocate, Obesity Prevention, and Reproductive Health projects. Each year, its clinics serve about 8,500 people making 28,000 health care visits. They deliver culturally competent service through bilingual, bicultural clinical and support staff, and offer interpreting services on-site. Neighborhood HealthSource offers a full spectrum of health maintenance, screening, disease prevention and health management services.
The VISTA will devise and oversee means to engage the community as volunteers, including building collaboarations with colleges and students, toward improved health outcomes.
- Increase low-income people’s access to campus-assisted direct healthcare services or benefit from campus-assisted prevention-related health literacy projects statewide.
- Determine possibility community volunteer roles/positions, the processes to support ongoing volunteer programs, and increase community engagement in clinic services in collaboration or consultation with various area colleges and universities and other entities.
- Develop and Implement a Volunteer Program.
- Expand application of this process to other areas of the clinic.
- Build capacity through improving, expanding, and beginning campus-community partnerships to address healthcare access and health literacy.
- Create and expand external partnerships with local colleges and universities, businesses, United Way, faith-based organizations, and others.
- Evaluate volunteer program.